Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Battlestar Galactica

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member MikMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    3,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Battlestar Galactica

    You know, I was so excited when Sci-Fi channel decided to do a remake of Battlestar Galactica. Alas, when I watched the pilot episode, I was left with little less than lackluster feelings. I've tried to give it a chance, but every time the it shows some potential, the show falls flat on it's face. Take tonight's episode, "The Resurrection Ship", for example. This is nothing more than an attempt to recapture the glory of the original episode, "The Living Legend." In that version, Commander Cain is a larger than life figure who's fought the "golmongering Cylons" ever since the destruction of the original colonies. Now, in Sci-Fi's version, Cain is nothing more than a lunatic in command of a battlestar. And what's worse, they made the character a woman....good grief. And I thought it was bad that they changed Starbuck to a woman. Hell, why didn't they just changed Adama, Tigh, Apollo....and hell, the whole crew to women! FRACK!!!!!
    [img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ETWNAPPEL/calgraphic.gif?t=1238543058[/img]

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Battlestar Galactica

    Oooh no, its a very good show if you watch it and don't think of it as a 'remake'. It's a reimagining, set in a state of being very much like now, post 911. I watched the old BSG a bit, and thought it was very fake and forced, this one is extremely dark and well received by most fans, and critics.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member MikMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    3,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Battlestar Galactica

    Well, "reimagining" is a loose term. Even with the "reimagining", the producers took the foundation of the original show...what I'm trying to say is that there is no such thing as "reimagining"....It's a 2nd rate copy of the original. Sure you can say the original looked forced and fake....it was 1978! For that day, the effects were top rate. The worst part was they spent so much on effects, they couldn't afford to hire the best writers of the day. There were only a handful of episodes that were top rate, out of around 41 total episodes. Look at the Classic Star Trek.....70 some episodes....only a handful of truly great ones. So before you condemn the original Galactica, remember....even the greatest of series has it's bad moments.
    [img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ETWNAPPEL/calgraphic.gif?t=1238543058[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Battlestar Galactica

    I really like the original Galactica ( coudln't guess that by the user name could you) and I still get some enjoyment watching the old series on DVD. That being said, I love the new series. I was not thrilled by the character gender, race changes but after a few episodes it made sense. Love the new show.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Battlestar Galactica

    I loved the original, even with faults it was an original story and a lot of fun to watch. I can't get into the new one at all, and I've given it every chance to catch my fancy. I was hoping I would get into it as much as I did Star Trek: The Next Generation, but it just aint happening.
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

  6. #6
    Inactive Member MikMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    3,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Battlestar Galactica

    The sole reason the new BSG is a letdown: Sci-Fi Original. I guess the success of Stargate-SG1 has convinced them that they can do anything. Unfortunately with Galactica, I hate to say, their arrogance has failed them. Case in point: have you seen any of those horrid Sci-Fi Original movies? Enough said.
    [img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ETWNAPPEL/calgraphic.gif?t=1238543058[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Battlestar Galactica

    Television : Battlestar Galactica: Second Season Finale Kicks Butt ? Changes Everything!
    Posted by Sheldon A. Wiebe on Tuesday, March 07, 2006, 1:21 am, EST
    The first part of the two-part second season finale of "Battlestar Galactica"? took some bold steps: Chief Tyrol's beating of Callie, and his fear that he's a Cylon; the discovery of a habitable planet and its effect on the election; Starbuck's rescue mission to Caprica.. Well, in the words of Al Jolson, "You ain't seen nothin' yet!"?





    "Lay Down Your Burdens Part 2"? opens exactly where Part One left off ? with Starbuck's [Katie Sackhoff] team, and the few remaining members of the resistance pinned down by Cylon fire. We cut between them and the ongoing election drama, which finds President Roslin [Mary McDonnell] in danger of losing. With doom seemingly encroaching on both fronts, the enemy fire on Caprica suddenly stops!

    After waiting for some devious Cylon plan to kick in ? with continued silence ? Starbuck and a few others venture forth to scout out the situation. The Cylons are gone! Meanwhile, back on the Galactica, Roslin's campaign manager has put her "Plan B"? into action ? prompting a possible election scandal.

    This extra-length season finale takes the members of the rag-tag fleet and changes everything for them. Starbuck is reunited with Sam Anders [Michael Trucco], her lover from when she went to Caprica to retrieve Athena's Arrow. Lee Adama gains command of the Pegasus. We meet a brand-spanking new Cylon model ? and it seems it's been with the fleet the whole time. Two important characters get married. And that doesn't even take into consideration the astounding change that occurs at about the point a regular-sized episode would have ended ? nor the incredible twist/cliffhanger it presages!

    As usual, though, the big events are not the focal point of the episode ? which remains firmly fixed on the effects that those events have on the characters that populate the series. When Chief Tyrol [Aaron Douglas] apologizes to Cally [Nicki Clyne], their relationship takes an unexpected shift. When Adama [Edward James Olmos] meets with Roslin, following the election, we learn more about each of them.








    One of the most profound changes occurs in Caprica Sharon [Grace Park], who has suffered the loss of her baby [or so she's been told]. Suddenly she becomes nihilistic ? confounding Lt. Helo [Tamoh Penikett] completely. Even that change is not as profound as the change in Baltar [James Callis] ? who not only follows the path of least resistance, he practically skis down it!

    Special mention should be made of Dean Stockwell's performance as the priest who counseled Chief Tyrol in Part One, and plays a key role in setting the events of Part Two in motion. Tricia Helfer also continues to bring it as Six ? her actions directly set up the cliffhanger, and it is wonderful the way she communicates her regret at having to do so.

    There is little doubt that "Battlestar Galactica"? is one of the premiere programs on any tier of television [network or cable]. The two-part season finale, "Lay Down Your Burdens,"? is one of the most powerful dramatic experiences of the season ? eclipsing the efforts of several of the year's Emmy nominees by a factor of tenfold, minimum! This is not an episode to miss ? even if it means that you spend the spring with butterflies in your stomach and sweat on your brow!

    Grade: A++
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •